Monday, February 21, 2005

Searchin'

In September, I decided to conduct a personal study of various religious experiences in order to better understand it all. My recent crisis has thrown a wrench into that plan, but perhaps I can ease back into it. Until then, I can discuss what I have done so far. At this point, I have done *a little* reading and *a little* visiting for my experiment.

I began reading God's Breath: Sacred Scriptures of the World, which is a collection of religious texts. I have read the book of Genesis and the Tao Te Ching. The book of Genesis was not new to me, as I am well acquainted with the Bible. The Tao Te Ching was very new, and while I came out of it with some inspiring quotes, that was about all. It was a bit difficult to wrap my head around.

"We look but don't see it
and call it indistinct
we listen but don't hear it
and call it faint
we reach but don't grasp it
and call it ethereal"

"When a great person hears of the Way
he follows it with great devotion
when an average person hears of the Way
he doesn't know if it's real or not
when a small person hears of the Way
he laughs out loud"


"Were I sufficiently wise
I would follow the Great Way
and only fear going astray"

I have visited non-denom churches, an Episcopalian church, and a Catholic chapel. I haven't branched out of Christianity much (I have spent some time in an Eastern Religions bookstore, does that count?). I have been a member of a Catholic club, and I am currently a member of a Jewish one, although I am neither Catholic nor Jewish. I enjoy attending the rabbi's lectures.

I've watched the History Channel's documentary entitled "A History of God."

As you can see, I am hardly equipped to make any judgments just yet. I know that I have beef with Christianity on several levels, but it is also my foundation from childhood. I am seriously intrigued by other religions, and that's not something that will just go away.

No comments: