Monday, March 07, 2005

My Favorite Things

I went to church today. It was really something. I was supposed to help serve because I joined that book group, and it was scheduled to serve. So I served. I stood behind a table and gave free copies of books to people who were visiting for the first time. I got to meet new people, I got to wear a nametag... life was good. They spoke about marriage, and I thought that I wouldn't really get anything out of it - not being married and all - but I did. I also got to see Free Spirit, which is good because I hadn't seen him in a while. All in all, it felt good and seems like something I will do every Sunday. Why not?

You know what's funny? I write all these angry comments in this blog, and it's like a release for me. I can go to church and really enjoy it because I feel like I've left all my bitterness here. Does that make sense? I thought that writing these things down would draw me away from God and church, but it has had the opposite effect. I feel like I'm getting it out somehow, so I don't have to carry it around with me.

Free Spirit and I met up with Fellow Seeker after church. He was coming from his church service, and he brought a friend, Expert Seeker. Apparently this incredible idea we had of visiting different places in order to draw upon various religious experiences is being done already. So much for originality :) He said that we can tag along with his group when they go.

Okay, I have an idea. I don't want this blog to be too one-sided, so I'm going to list the things that I love about religion (Christianity in particular). Bear with me.

  1. Sense of community at church, feeling like I am a part of something bigger than myself
  2. Comfort in times of trouble and distress
  3. Belief that there is a purpose for my life, and it's not all as meaningless as it appears to be
  4. Not having to be afraid of death (although I still am)
  5. Theory that there is absolute truth and morality, and that not everything is as relative as 21st century Western society would have us believe
  6. Feeling of peace that I get when I go to church
  7. Enables me to think outside the box, and dream bigger than this world

Can anyone think of something else? Add yours :)

No comments: