You know what's funny? I write all these angry comments in this blog, and it's like a release for me. I can go to church and really enjoy it because I feel like I've left all my bitterness here. Does that make sense? I thought that writing these things down would draw me away from God and church, but it has had the opposite effect. I feel like I'm getting it out somehow, so I don't have to carry it around with me.
Free Spirit and I met up with Fellow Seeker after church. He was coming from his church service, and he brought a friend, Expert Seeker. Apparently this incredible idea we had of visiting different places in order to draw upon various religious experiences is being done already. So much for originality :) He said that we can tag along with his group when they go.
Okay, I have an idea. I don't want this blog to be too one-sided, so I'm going to list the things that I love about religion (Christianity in particular). Bear with me.
- Sense of community at church, feeling like I am a part of something bigger than myself
- Comfort in times of trouble and distress
- Belief that there is a purpose for my life, and it's not all as meaningless as it appears to be
- Not having to be afraid of death (although I still am)
- Theory that there is absolute truth and morality, and that not everything is as relative as 21st century Western society would have us believe
- Feeling of peace that I get when I go to church
- Enables me to think outside the box, and dream bigger than this world
Can anyone think of something else? Add yours :)