Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Sojourness's Beliefs... circa 2006



I was going through my blog drafts and see there are a bunch of things I drafted but never published. I thought this was worth sharing - from January 9, 2006.

Sojourness's Beliefs

I believe that we are not to blame for being imperfect, because we did not ask to be born this way, or to be born at all, for that matter.

I do not feel that we should perpetuate systems of belief that foster self-loathing and a low sense of self-worth.

(I feel that Christianity sends mixed messages: we are sinful and evil, yet greatly valued by God, so precious that He would die for us, yet so abhorrent that only the shedding of his blood would allow us to escape his intense wrath.)

I believe that we become "guilty" when we allow our imperfections to harm others without making a concerted effort to avoid doing so.

Just as members of oppressed groups unite in solidarity, I believe that woman- and man-kind should be united because we are all in this together. We all face the terrors of life and death, and none of us know for what purpose. Any that claim to are either being dishonest, or cling to doctrines out of fear. I do not fault them for the latter.

I believe that there is great love in the world, and it is one of the few, if not the only, reason for waking up in the morning. But it is rare, and hard to find.

I am not sure that happiness is attainable as a state of being. (I don't mean in the utopian sense; I just mean one being able to honestly say that she/he is happy in life.) I believe that one can find many examples and instances of it, but nothing more.

No comments: