Saturday, April 23, 2005

Lost and Found

I almost forgot that Passover is upon us. I was reading an article at Belief.net on Passover, and it mentioned the movie The Prince of Egypt. Reminded me that I need to get my copy back from Fellow Seeker. I love that movie, and I don't care if it's for kids. I also have Joseph: King of Dreams but it's not as good. The best part is the Van Gogh-esque dream sequences.

Cynic concocted a theory that I became a vegetarian in order to get on God's good side. Oy vay. How do you know me for over seven years and not understand that I'm a spiritual person? It's not about getting on God's good side; it's about wanting to know if there is a God and who He/She is and how to relate to Him/Her. When I told him I was a vegetarian, he said, "I think I liked you better when you were a devout Christian." I said, "I still am, it's just... different." I am, aren't I? I can see what he means - I'm not how I was when I was in high school. But that doesn't mean that I'm not devout anymore, and I haven't abandoned Christianity. He doesn't read this blog because, in his words, he doesn't care about my spiritual journey, but if he did I think he would understand me a little better.

The lost Buddha has returned! During the summer, Fellow Seeker, Skeptic and I were out and about and we happened upon an Asian man selling little figures and statues. I bought a miniature jade Buddha and put it on the desk in my bedroom (it's covered with things like that: a small medieval knight, a toy trolley from San Francisco, sculptures I've made). The folks were a little weirded out by it. I told them I'm not praying to it, so what's the difference? It might as well be a bust of FDR or something. Then it mysteriously disappeared. I suspected my young siblings. Couldn't find it for months. The family joked that it disappeared for a reason, like it wasn't supposed to be here. One of the kids uncovered it the other night; it had fallen and landed somewhere where I couldn't see it.

Speaking of which, The Tibetan Book of the Dead is one crazy book. It describes death as this psychedelic experience with colored lights and gods flying at you. Very entertaining. Not sure that I'm getting much spiritual nourishment from it, but it is definitely interesting.

No comments: