Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Bad As I Am

I just got back from yet another trip today. No more traveling for me! *Sinks into chair* I'm exhausted. Traveling gives you a good opportunity to do some thinking, reading, and writing. I have been doing all three, and despite being worn out, I really did have a good time each time. So things are good in that respect.

Apparently Fellow Seeker and I are going to hell. According to his grandmother, anyway.

He called me tonight to tell me about a conversation he had with her about religion. (I think he should stop having these talks with his folks. They're not going so well.) He asked her questions like, "What about the tsunami? Why did God let all those people die?" She said something about man being sinful but he was quick to remind her that the tsunami had nothing to do with man. He said that as a human being, if he had killed all those people (especially the children) he would have to answer for it. Does God have no accountability? He also used an example that he attributed to Thomas Paine. Romans 9:20 says, "But who are you, O man, to talk back to God? Shall what is formed say to him who formed it, 'Why did you make me like this?'" The argument is that this is not a sufficient analogy because we are sentient beings, not pots. He said to her, "Me and my best friend both believe in God, but we do question." She said that, once again, you're not supposed to question God, and that people that talk like we do don't believe in God. She also said something about certain ways leading to death.

So, that was pleasant to hear. It shouldn't bother me but it does a little. I don't know why, I'm sure other Christians think worse of me than that.

No comments: