Monday, November 21, 2005

Who Will Save Your Soul

It was nice having Fellow Seeker stay over. He was a pleasant distraction from unpleasant things. And, of course, we had plenty of religion talk, because we can't get enough of it!

We were watching Sister play one of those old school Super Mario games, and at one point, Mario jumped and fell into a sea of flames. I said, "He must've been a sinner," which sent F.S. into a frenzy of laughter (but not Mother).

Strangely enough, I had a religious discussion with Ex last night. He IMed me to say hello and all that, and I let something slip about my current spiritual state (a sarcastic joke, you know me). All of a sudden, he was pretty concerned. (They always are.) His father is a pastor; what the hell was I thinking, saying that to him? I suppose I should be flattered by the Christians I know being so concerned about my soul, but I have come to resent the implications. He asked me why I feel the way I do, I told him that it takes intellectual leaps to believe certain things (F.S. later commented, "Leaps? Try the Grand Canyon."), eccetera, eccetera. I cut the conversation short because I just can't listen to that stuff anymore. Healthy, lively apologetics debates use to fascinate me; now they just get on my nerves. He said that he would pray for my faith to return. I'm not a total callous bitch, I appreciate it, I really do, but geez. Of all people to want to lead me on the straight and narrow.

F.S. and I had more of our great talks as we traveled to the library together. Topics included Free Will, Schmee Will, Name That Poet, and Modern Heresy 101. Good times.

2 comments:

ChosenRebel said...

Was looking for something else and found your site. What is your basic beef with Christianity? Is it Christians? Jesus himself? Churches? The banality of most God talk in churches? The Bible? Portion of the bible? Help me, please. I want to understand.

sojourness said...

My entire blog exists (or did exist) solely for the purpose of addressing my doubts and struggles with Christianity. Now, nine months after its inception, I have gotten to a point where I can no longer reconcile the idea of a God who loves us and:

- allows such terrible suffering (free will argument doesn't do it for me)

- sends us to burn in hell for all eternity (not only those misguided in the present, but all of the Gentiles before Christ)

- does not intervene to protect the righteous, even though the Bible says He does

- does not value women as much as men, if the Bible is literally the Word of God

- blames me personally for what Adam and Eve did (born with sinful natures against our will, yet it is our fault when we sin and God holds it against us)

Those are my major issues, in a nutshell. I have gone into them in great detail in previous posts.

Thanks for asking and for your interest. I hope that I haven't offended you or anyone who is religious; my sarcasm comes from being burned by Christianity.