Monday, August 18, 2008


I went through a ton of drama over getting a cat last week. I have wanted one for a long time, but dismissed it as something I can't do right now. For one, I'm damn lazy around the house. I don't even pick up after myself. Adding another creature might drive Boyfriend insane. Not only that, but they cost money. They cost money if you buy or adopt them, they cost money for your landlord to let you have them in the apartment, they cost money for shots and neutering, they cost money for food and litter, and they cost (a ton of) money when they get sick. Do I really have all this disposable income to spend on a pet?

Finally I became so enamored with the idea of my own personal kitty cat that I found people on Craiglist who were giving away their pets because of an allergic fiancee or what have you. These animals are already vaccinated and neutered. That knocks the cost way down. I also found out that the pet deposit in my complex is much lower than elsewhere. That also boistered my spirits. I even got Boyfriend to concede, though he seriously dislikes cats.

In the end, however, I have to accept the death of my dream. I decided that if Boyfriend and I are taking not one, but TWO trips to Asia next year, one potentially lasting 4 months, I really have no business getting a pet I will just have to get rid of or pay someone to sit for.

It's very sad because I was so excited and happy about getting one, and I just heard a new study was done saying that owning a cat reduces your chance of heart attack by 1/3.

It's also a shame because pets are supposed to reduce depression and make people happier, and I was kind of looking forward to having something soft and cuddly to purr on my chest in those moments when I can't stop seeing the face in the coffin or the crimes from long ago.

*Sigh*

3 comments:

Andi said...

I know what you mean completely! I campaigned for a dog for ages when I was in NC, but the boyfriend had an annoying habit of reminding me just how many hours I worked and how much I traveled to conferences. Finally, spring semester of last year, I had time to devote to a dog, and it was SO worth the wait. I know it's hard, but hang in there. You'll get your chance!

WOLVERINE said...

Maybe if I move down to Texas I can house/cat sit fer ya while yer gone and I'm lookin' fer a place. ;)

cheekynomad said...

i want a dog. a large dog. i have the same issues: dispensable income i have not.