Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Give Peace A Chance

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Happy HNT. You got my mug this time.

Once again, I can't sleep. I thought it was because I drink caffeinated beverages all day long, but tonight I didn't have any and here I am again. I have way too much on my mind. Have you ever been in bed and your mind is just racing and you're thinking to yourself, "Shut up, shut up, shut up!" but you never listen to yourself so the rambling continues? Lately, I go to bed, I lay there, I can't get my thoughts to simmer down, I get back up. It's a vicious cycle. I was eating Ben & Jerry's Phish Food a minute ago but I clumsily dropped one of those little chocolate fishes onto my new t-shirt and now I'm pissed.

Have any of you ever taken the Jung-Myers-Briggs Personality Test? It is a psychological test that determines your personality type, but it's not one of those cheesy online quizzes. It's a legitimate test that is used quite often in the real world. I had to take it for a class during my first semester of college and it was extremely accurate. My personality type was INFJ. I just took the test again on this website and found that I am still an INFJ, or a Counselor Idealist. This is what it says:

The Counselor Idealists are abstract in thought and speech, cooperative in reaching their goals, and directive and introverted in their interpersonal roles. Counselors focus on human potentials, think in terms of ethical values, and come easily to decisions. The small number of this type (little more than 2 percent) is regrettable, since Counselors have an unusually strong desire to contribute to the welfare of others and genuinely enjoy helping their companions. Although Counsleors tend to be private, sensitive people, and are not generally visible leaders, they nevertheless work quite intensely with those close to them, quietly exerting their influence behind the scenes with their families, friends, and colleagues. This type has great depth of personality; they are themselves complicated, and can understand and deal with complex issues and people.

Counselors can be hard to get to know. They have an unusually rich inner life, but they are reserved and tend not to share their reactions except with those they trust. With their loved ones, certainly, Counselors are not reluctant to express their feelings, their face lighting up with the positive emotions, but darkening like a thunderhead with the negative. Indeed, because of their strong ability to take into themselves the feelings of others, Counselors can be hurt rather easily by those around them, which, perhaps, is one reason why they tend to be private people, mutely withdrawing from human contact. At the same time, friends who have known a Counselor for years may find sides emerging which come as a surprise. Not that they are inconsistent; Counselors value their integrity a great deal, but they have intricately woven, mysterious personalities which sometimes puzzle even them.

Counselors have strong empathic abilities and can become aware of another's emotions or intentions -- good or evil -- even before that person is conscious of them. This "mind-reading" can take the form of feeling the hidden distress or illnesses of others to an extent which is difficult for other types to comprehend. Even Counselors can seldom tell how they came to penetrate others' feelings so keenly. Furthermore, the Counselor is most likely of all the types to demonstrate an ability to understand psychic phenomena and to have visions of human events, past, present, or future. What is known as ESP may well be exceptional intuitive ability-in both its forms, projection and introjection. Such supernormal intuition is found frequently in the Counselor, and can extend to people, things, and often events, taking the form of visions, episodes of foreknowledge, premonitions, auditory and visual images of things to come, as well as uncanny communications with certain individuals at a distance.

Anyway, I posted this for a reason. It is going to lead up to my treatise on idealism. More to come soon :)

16 comments:

Julie said...

You are VERY pretty and have the BEST IDEA!!

Andi said...

Gorgeous! If women could procreate together you, Dena, and I could have the cutest babies. We could just try different combos until the kid came out right.

I'm sleepy, too. Can you tell?

HS said...

Heehee! Cute!

Osbasso said...

We like your mug!

~art said...

some nights the brain just won't shut off

sojourness said...

Thanks people.

lol Andi! It would be nice if women could do that, cut men out of the equation altogether :P (j/k, relax guys ;)

Anonymous said...

Found your blog though following a random set of links. I'm an INFJ as well. We're a fairly rare breed so it' good to "meet" one more. Peace to you.

sojourness said...

Yes, a. nonny, we are. Nice to meet you :) I look forward to hearing your thoughts in the future.

Anonymous said...

they said for me, "Your Type is 'INFJ'"

sojourness said...

Heh, no way. That's why we get along so well.

Anonymous said...

This is a great blog; lots of fabulous thoughts running around in here! Welcome to the Bust Girl Wide Web.

Anonymous said...

I don't think my wife'd like th' idea o' hookin' up with women too much...

Do ya remember what I got th' last time, darlin'? This time I got iNTj...looks familiar but could be wrong.

http://keirsey.com/personality/ntij.html
http://typelogic.com/intj.html

sojourness said...

INTJ does sound familiar for you. I remember you were one letter off from mine...

Anonymous said...

Heh surprised ya still got th' same results, bein' new you an' all.

Anonymous said...

i took the test (cuz i'm so productive on fridays at work) and it says I'm ISTJ- inverted sensing thinking judging aka, the Inspector.

I dunno about that, I read in the description something about me being punctual, ha!

~The Traveler

sojourness said...

Good point Wolvie. *Shrugs*

Heyyyy Traveler :) You should be working, under all that pressure and all, lol.