Tuesday, April 25, 2006

i'll see you soon



My plane tickets are booked. In four weeks I am off on my European adventure. This is going to be some trip considering I've never left the good ol' U. S. of A. before. It's so exciting for me because my fear of flying has prevented me from imagining myself traveling at all, even in the far-off future. I thought it was going to be something I wanted terribly to do but would be unable to. When Study Abroad people visited my classes and spoke of the wondrous programs offered, I thought to myself, "I wish I could go to one of these places, but I DON'T WANT TO DIE." Yeah, the fear was that intense. I almost didn't apply for my fellowship because I had heard misinformation about being forced to work abroad (when in reality, it is a choice, and a tantalizing one at that).

I have two lists of books that I am supposed to be reading in preparation for my job. I shouldn't say 'supposed to'; I am reading them, but not at the speed that I should be. I didn't realize how soon I was leaving until the tickets were purchased (by the program and not me, oh yeahhhh) a few days ago. Now it's like, Holy shit! I'm-a going, Mamma!

I really hope that I get to travel to Naples and Sicily while I'm in Italy. My Mother's family is from both cities: Napoli on her father's side and Sicilia on her mother's. It would be really cool to get in touch with some aspect of my heritage. (Something that eludes me sometimes as an American, as I mentioned here.)

2 comments:

Andi said...

I'm SO excited for you. I've always wanted a European adventure. I may look into it in my phd program.

Anonymous said...

have fun when u go, say hi to the Pope for me

---

"Enjoy yourself as much as you like -- if only you keep from sin."

Saint John Bosco

---