Friday, May 06, 2005

A Sorta Fairytale

         

I began reading The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren. Godmother gave it to Mother for her birthday a while ago, and since Mother isn't a reader and is quite a busy woman, it has been sitting in my house all this time. I actually had two copies of it that my church had given to me. I gave one to Devout, and the other one must be floating around here somewhere. But anyway, the book is composed of mini-chapters, one for each of forty days. Today I'm on Day 11 and I want to scream.

Why don't I just stop, you ask? That would make sense, wouldn't it? I, however, am one of those people who has a real problem with not finishing books I start. There are times that I will do this, but since I only have to read a few pages of this per day, it's do-able in my mind and so I'm keeping up with it.

Anyway, it's not that it's a bad book. I just find it incredibly predictable, full of Christian cliches. I suppose it's good for brand new Christians, but not for veterans, regardless of how crappy a veteran you are. Lines like "God wants to be your best friend" - true as they may be - are not exactly leading me to spiritual enlightenment. I feel like it's too far removed from the nitty gritty of everyday life and reality to be applicable for me. Yes, I know the Bible says this, and that, and that, but what can you tell me beyond that?

1 comment:

Andi said...

I had a friend who tried to get me to read it once, and I just wasn't terribly interested. I scanned a bit, and it seemed like a bit of a marketing cheesefest. Good luck!