Friday, February 08, 2008


First of all, I'd like to thank Andi over at Estella's Revenge for nominating me for the "You Make My Day Award." Every time I pass these nominations on, the recipients are, for lack of a better turn of phrase, not interested, so I'm skipping it this time. I hope that the bloggers who make my day know it! (Andi, for example. Amanda's another one but Andi got her already :P)


So last night I volunteered at the elementary school with the Reading is Fundamental program. (Hey 90s kids, remember that?) It was fantastic. Don't get me wrong - it made me super tired and chalky - but I had a terrific time and will do it again. The children were precious and I loved spending time with them and their parents. It's such a good cause, too - providing low income kids with books and trying to get them interested in reading from a young age. It definitely works, because these kids played a ton of games that were secretly educational (*smirk*) and then got all excited about getting their very own book to take home. What a great program. If you want to help them out, you don't need to donate or volunteer. President Bush's new budget will completely eliminate all their funding (big surprise) and they will be banished from existence in 2009 unless we speak up and tell our Congresspeople that this is not okay.

More info at www.rif.org.

No comments: