Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Don't Think Twice, It's Alright

I was talking to a homeless man this morning; let's call him Bobby. (I don't think it would be nice to call him Homeless Man in my typical nickname fashion.) Bobby had a dog, as well as a wife who appeared a few minutes into our conversation. He told me his grim tale: how he worked as a welder for 23 years but has been sitting on that sidewalk for the past eight. He is desperately trying to get Social Security, welfare, or whatever he can. He has cancer, and swears that he doesn't drink or do drugs. After all these years, a well-to-do passerby has finally offered to use her legal expertise to help him out.

Now, mind you, I took all this at face value. This is what he told me and I believed him. I have no way of knowing whether or not it is true. But, it could be. It certainly could be. And that is frightening.

This is what causes me to run my mouth about priorities. Why gay marriage is so evil that the religious right must focus all their time and energy on preventing its legalization is beyond me. Let people go hungry, that's no biggie, but God forbid Jack benefits from Joe's insurance. That's what will really cause God to wreak His vengeance upon us as a nation. *Slaps head* Oh, it makes me sick. I can name several issues that are, in my opinion, much more significant, and if there is a loving God who cares about what's going on down here, He might care about them too. Bobby being hungry is one of them.

Yeah, yeah, I'll get off the soapbox now.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carin' 'bout yer fellow man is outdated thinkin'. Welcome to reality.

sojourness said...

Readers... meet Cynic! Did I name him well or what? lol

Anonymous said...

Sheesh! Last time I agree with yer soapbox moments. :-P

sojourness said...

0:)

Anonymous said...

You wish. :-P

Anonymous said...

the Church takes care of both issues and many others, its the media who only focuses one set of stories more than another

sojourness said...

I'll give you that. I'm thinking more in terms of politics. Religious people worrying about who they elect based on issues like gay marriage and not other things.