I'm stealing a meme from Andi, as always...
Booked By 3 Meme:
Name up to three characters...
1. ....You wish were real so you could meet them:
- Pilate from Toni Morrison's Song of Solomon is perhaps the coolest character in the entire world.
- Cannie from Jennifer Weiner's Good in Bed; we would so be best friends.
- Mma Ramotswe from Alexander McCall Smith's The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series. She's smart, grounded, old-fashioned but anti-sexist and "traditionally built." She also values the right things in life.
2. ....You would like to be:
- Arwen from Lord of the Rings. She gets to live in that crazy fantasy world, marry Aragorn and be royalty. Although that whole giving up immortality thing would probably be a scary decision to make.
- August Boatwright from Sue Monk Kidd's The Secret Life of Bees. She's got it all together in life, one of those nearly perfect characters that you love rather than hate.
- Lucy from Jamaica Kincaid's Lucy. It's been a while since I read it but I zipped through it in like two nights. Can't remember if the character was sarcastic or just had an amazing turn-of-phrase.
3. ....Who scares you:
- Dick and Perry in Capote's In Cold Blood. Even scarier that they were real.
- Randall Flagg in Stephen King's The Stand. Okay, so I only got about 400 pages into a 1,000+ page book, but I watch that movie religiously. Eight hours long and I must have seen it at least five times.
- T-ray from The Secret Life of Bees again. He scares the crap out of me.