Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Not much to say about the last week. I have been alternately working on writing projects and trying to take it easy. It is rainy and gray in Austin, which is actually a nice change from the heat but does a lot to sap one's energy and spirits. I would much prefer being home in my pajamas on a rainy day than in the office, doing work that does not inspire.

Yesterday I got called into a private meeting with Boss and HR Lady. Apparently my company got a slap on the wrist for our 401k plan being too "top-heavy" (i.e. only high earners invest) so they are being forced to incentivize the rest of us who make peanuts. I'm essentially getting several hundred dollars for free - it's like a bonus, only I have to take it in my 401k. I haven't had a 401k up to this point but was thinking about it. I decided to wait until now because I had heard rumors of free money for anyone not yet on the plan. I'm not thrilled about starting one, especially after seeing the chart on the Traveler's blog, but I'm young and won't be withdrawing anytime soon.

No comments: