Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Covenant Woman




I'm going to write a bit about the Da Vinci Code. I'm only going to mention what is fairly well known about the book, so I doubt there will be any spoilers for those who haven't read it. But, if you haven't read it, and don't want to take the chance, don't read this entry. I actually wish I had been surprised about this fact when I read it rather than having heard it from everyone and their mother since the book came out. *Shrug*



I was telling Mother about the book yesterday, and how much I loved it. She exclaimed, "Jesus was God! God can't be married!" Then she sighed and said, "Please don't get so far from your beliefs." It was weird hearing her refer to Christian beliefs as 'my beliefs.' As if I have some claim on them. As if I still believe them the way I used to. How are they my beliefs? Anyway, I kept that question to myself.

To be perfectly honest, I would like Christianity a whole lot better if Jesus was married, and if the Goddess was a part of it. For one thing, a strong female character in the equation would make the religion a bit more palatable to me. Yes, there's the Virgin Mary, but quite frankly, she just reinforces that old idea that women can only be saved through chastity or motherhood. Veteran Seeker made a wonderful point to me when we discussed it the other day. He read somewhere that the Virgin Mary has actually been a negative role model for women to aspire to be like because she is both a virgin and a mother - something real women can never be. More hoops to jump through, ladies.

But a Mary Magdalene who is not a prostitute, who is the mournful widow, who represents the feminine Divine... ahhh I love it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our Lady, the Blessed Virgin Mary, is indeed both Virgin and Mother. She is an example for all Christians, not just women. Her Virginity and Motherhood serves those in both states of life so that all may know that they too can follow Our Lord, who loves us so much that He gave up His Life for us on the cross to save us from our sins. You couldn't wish for a better deal than that!
---
REDEMPTORIS MATER by the Servant of God Pope John Paul II

http://www.vatican.va/edocs/ENG0224/_INDEX.HTM
---

Cracking The Da Vinci Code

http://www.catholic.com/library/cracking_da_vinci_code.asp

---

"Enjoy yourself as much as you like -- if only you keep from sin."
~Saint John Bosco

"Do you want our Lord to give you many graces? Visit him often. Do you want him to give you few graces? Visit him seldom. Visits to the Blessed Sacrament are powerful and indispensable means of overcoming the attacks of the devil. Make frequent visits to Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament and the devil will be powerless against you."
~Saint John Bosco

Anonymous said...

*****************************
http://www.jesusdecoded.com/

Launches March 9th, 2006

******************************


"The U.S. Bishops’ Catholic Communication Campaign will offer key resources to provide accurate information on the life of Jesus and the origins of Christianity prior to the release of the movie based on Dan Brown’s novel The Da Vinci Code. Resources include a Web site and documentary slated to air on NBC-TV stations. Also being produced is a 16-page booklet on The Authentic Jesus"

*****************************
http://www.jesusdecoded.com/

Launches March 9th, 2006

******************************
http://www.usccb.org/comm/archives/2006/06-045.shtml