Sunday, February 25, 2007

Baby, you can drive my car

What a weekend. Let's just say I'm very glad I got those paying gigs because now all that money has been sucked away through a friggin hole in my pocket on four wheels.

My car arrived Friday night at 9:30. I was told it would arrive on Thursday afternoon so I was unable to work at the office on Thursday or Friday, and it came Friday night. Naturally! They had not done one thing they had promised to do throughout the process, why should I have believed it would be so this time? Whatever, I worked from home, it wasn't the end of the world.

In car-owning bliss, Boyfriend and I went out to get the oil changed yesterday. They told me I should probably replace my fuel filter because the outside of it is rusty (Are we going for a beauty pageant here? It's underneath the car.) and a fuel injection just for fun and that fun will cost me $120. Can I drive it as it is? I asked. Well, yes, but we really would like your money, they said. Fuck off, I replied, and we left. We spent some time in the bookstore then got on the expressway in order to meet the real estate woman. (We are hunting for a cheaper apartment.)

On the highway I noticed a curious thing, the brakes were not working as well as a person with the will to live would like. It scared the living shit out of me when I didn't get much resistance, pushed the brake all the way down, and slowed down only gradually. I thought perhaps I imagined it but when we got off the highway and I had a hard time stopping at a red light, I began to panic. Boyfriend and I took it to the nearest mechanic and spent five hours waiting for them to replace my rear brake drums, which were apparently in bad shape. It was going to cost $420 but I got my friend who knows cars on the phone and he spoke with the mechanic and got him down to $350.

In essence, between the oil change, checkup stuff and repairs, I have had the car for one day so far and it has cost me $400.

I hate being a grownup!!

3 comments:

WOLVERINE said...

Hehe at least ya don't need to completely rebuild yer car like some of us.

sojourness said...

Yeah, that's true, it was just disturbing. I'm recovering today ;)

Congrats to you again!!!!!!!! I want an autographed copy, mister, you owe me.

Andi said...

Eeww, yeah, not a good time. You're right...there's no way to describe being a grownup other than "suck."