Wednesday, April 25, 2007


I have been having odd thoughts lately. Not odd in and of themselves, but odd for me considering where I have been spiritually for the past, what, year? More?

Today I found out about a summer position that would knock my socks off. I will apply, but I am trying very hard not to get my hopes up, as I did with that other summer program I was rejected for. I am just trying to be calm and act like if it happens, it happens, and if not, that's okay too.

And I thought to myself, involuntarily, Everything happens for a reason. Maybe I got rejected from the other program so I could do this one. And if I don't get this one, there must be a reason for that, too. God causes everything to happen for a reason.

And then I thought, What did I just think?

Where did God come into it?

But that's what I thought.

This Lamott book is really doing something to me, I swear. I keep reading it and being a little envious of her, her attitudes and her lifestyle. She's a Christian, but she's liberal and cool and funky. She's not stuffy or uptight or judgmental like I normally believe most religious people to be. She weaves these amazing beliefs and ideas together and I think, I want to live like that. Without religion and without the absence of spirituality. A special niche in the world, in life, just for me. Is that possible?

Anne makes me think it is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would propose to you the example and character of Mother Angelica. She founded a monastery and the EWTN Catholic Cable Channel, and is known for her no-nonsense approach to life. She's awesome.
See if you can catch her reruns or read one of her books. The newest is described below:

---

MOTHER ANGELICA'S LITTLE BOOK
of Life Lessons and Everyday Spirituality by Raymond Arroyo, presents an inspiring collection of Mother's powerful spiritual insights and no-nonsense advice. The book includes a wide-range of Mother's thoughts and practical teachings on subjects such as: the purpose of life, pain and suffering, seeking God's Will in everyday life and much more. This devotional treasure was created in cooperation with Our Lady of the Angels Monastery. Hardcover edition. 220 pages.