Monday, February 13, 2006

Wishful Beginnings

Today is Day 3 of my trip. I have not done much here so far except for reading and food shopping, and I am adjusting to not having 50,000 demands on me each day. Obviously this is not a way to live one's life; it is more like an extended vacation so I can get everything together. I still have pressing things to take care of - getting my passport, working on my Italian - but days seem to be filled with possibility rather than the certainty of spreading myself too thin and being perpetually stressed out.

I have decided not to begin working for the time being because I need to go home from around March 2nd or 3rd until the 13th, and I don't think it would be wise to begin a job for a couple of weeks and then skip out. I feel that I have time for that; I can work for two months when I return in March, and I will be working all summer. I don't want to begin committing myself to responsibilities simply because I feel better after two days here. I need to make the most of this time personally and really make it restful as well as productive, because once I jump back into internships and school, I won't be able to simply retreat from them again like I am doing now.

I did, however, find an organization (quite by accident) that is very similar to the one I volunteer for at home. I contacted them and will probably do some sporadic volunteer work there. I haven't done volunteer work in a long time; it is hard to find the time (sorry excuse, I know). So this will be very nice for me.

2 comments:

cheekynomad said...

im happy for you

Andi said...

Glad you made it safely. Enjoy your rest, get centered, and have some mexican food! Without meat.