Saturday, October 29, 2005

Little Too Early

I was reading this interesting article on feminism, and it made me want to recount this little anecdote:

Yesterday, I was in the HC lounge with Mr. Dirty Jokes and others, just before class. I had a stack of copies of our feminist magazine with me, and he wanted to read one. He read my poem and then he said, "I always thought that God was a woman. That's the only thing that makes sense." When asked to elaborate on why, he said, "Think about any relationship you have. With your mother, with your friends, with your boyfriend/girlfriend... In every single one of those situations, the woman is always in control. It doesn't matter what's going on, the woman has the power." I think that is one of the best things I have ever heard anyone say, hehe. Then he pointed to me and said to someone else, "See? We're not even together and yet I'm waiting for her to go to class." Too funny.

This morning I woke up at 7:30 (Seven thirty!) in order to go to aerobics class. The alarm woke me up, and I decided that maybe being healthy was overrated and I didn't want to go so badly after all, but after lying in bed for another ten or fifteen minutes, I was like, whatever, I'm up already. So I went. Now, I have taken several aerobics classes before, and it was never too difficult for me. This morning, however, I had a different instructor, and oh... my... goodness. I'm still in pain. Usually after a class, you feel really good and energetic and glad that you went through all that. After this one, I had to scrape myself off the floor, and I didn't have any of those good feelings. I was totally drenched. Gross. From now on, I'm going to do aerobics during the week with the other instructors, at least until I can handle that kind of intensity. Gee whiz!

I also went to the eye doctor today. That's always fun. I feel like a failure whenever I go. "Read the smallest line you can." I can't read any of those lines. I don't even have a strong prescription, either, but I feel like I'm flunking a test with those damn letters/numbers/ God-knows-what-else-they-throw-in-there. Then I stress the doctor out because I can't help but blink when she stabs me in the eye with that damn thing. She sounded quite exasperated when she told me, "Okay, you're moving back again." That's because you're coming at me with a sharp object again. Listen, Doc, I don't know how you react when you're being gouged in the eye, but I hope to avoid the whole Oedipus Rex look, okay?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol! i went to the optometrist last week. He asked how long i've had my prescription, and i was like, well i got it when i was still with my X, and that was a while ago =D

boooo on the whole skipping out on the challenging instructor. That should be your goal, to be able to get through that class once without being scraped off the floor. I was in your shoes on Saturday morning, i went to class at 1115 and afterwards i was a wobbly sweaty mess. (then it started snowing, F boston)

sojourness said...

Yeah, I'm contemplating remaining in the class until I can actually handle it. Hmm....

Anonymous said...

Gee, that's funny...me an' my wife have a kind of partnership goin', not a Feminazi dictatorship. Hmmmm....

sojourness said...

Gotta ruin a good story, huh? Skutch.

Anonymous said...

Not my fault, s'yer fault I got her. :-P

sojourness said...

Ah yes, that's right, and you still haven't properly thanked me. I will be expecting a bouquet of flowers by the end of the week :P

Anonymous said...

Thanks fer what? Ruinin' my goals of dyin' single? HA! Yer just lucky I nominated you fer maid of honor.

sojourness said...

I guess that will suffice.